While not everyone will agree that the internet has been a tremendous presence in our life, there is no denying that it has hugely impacted on the way we live our lives. When it comes to researching different options or finding people who provide services, the internet is an important part of our search.
While the property market is still very traditional, with many legal elements dating back a considerable time still in place, the way people buy and sell homes is slowly changing. Online property websites like Rightmove and Zoopla make it easy to find the ideal home and most property searches now begin online. There are now also a whole range of online estate agents offering an alternative to traditional estate agents.
Online estate agents are the cheaper option
The key reason to consider an online estate agent is that they are often cheaper. Moving home is expensive and whether you are buying or selling, there are many costs involved. Hiring an online estate agent is often cheaper and as these services usually come at a fixed price, you know exactly what you are going to pay. Being able to budget is of great benefit and if money is tight, online agents offer an effective service.
Many people appreciate the convenience of online estate agents. Not everyone has time to visit or call a traditional estate agent during standard working hours, and this can complicate the process. However, with an online estate agent, you can contact them at any time and you can communicate online.
Make sure the online estate agent gives you what you need
These are very strong reasons to consider an online estate agent, but there other things to consider regarding online estate agent services. While this is the cheaper option, you may not receive the services you need. An example of this is at some online estate agents don’t provide a viewing service, meaning you must welcome prospective buyers to your home and show them around. Not everyone is happy to do this. You may have to pay extra for certain services, which could increase the overall cost, removing the affordable nature of online services.
With a traditional estate agent, you know what you are going to get. This style of an estate agent is likely to provide you with everything you need to buy or sell a property and they will often have a reliable knowledge of the local area.
When you have two options, it is often best to consider the Pros and Cons of the two options.
Pros of online estate agents
- This is the cheapest option
- Online support makes this the convenient option
- This is a smart option if you are busy during standard working hours
- This is a great option if you are internet-savvy
- You get what you pay for, so it could be argued this is the value for money option
Cons of online estate agents
- You may not receive all the services you need
- Many online estate agents don’t have local knowledge
Pros of traditional estate agents
- Comfort and confidence that comes from working with an established professional
- All the services you need
- A professional that knows the local area, buyers and sellers
- If you are not internet savvy, it is best to work with a traditional estate agent
Cons of traditional estate agents
- You may pay for services that you don’t need
- These agents often work on a percentage-based commission, which can be costly
- These agents may only work standard office hours, which could limit your ability to speak with them
It is important to realise that there is no right or wrong answer on which estate agent is best. The agent that is best for one person may be unsuitable for another person or household. You need to consider your own budget, your own availability and your own needs and expectations to make sure you find the agent that is best suited to you and your property ambitions.
At Move Engine, we understand the importance of finding the right estate agent for your needs. Hopefully, the information contained in this article will help you make an informed decision, but if you want further guidance, please feel free to contact us. We are always happy to help and as we take the time to find out about you and what you need, you can be confident of receiving relevant information that will help you take the next step in the property market.